Skip to main content

It's A Mystery!

Years ago, I met Jerry as part of a ministry team at my parish. Whenever there was a question he couldn't answer or it really was a religious puzzle, he'd throw his palms up, shrug and say, "It's a mystery!" It became a running gag after a while, and even years after he moved out of state, the rest of us would laugh and say, "It's a mystery!"

I thought of that this week........ it's one of those times when I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing. I'm watching what I eat, having an occasional indulgence too, exercising (read: working my @$$ off!) ...... and the scale is going in the wrong direction -- incrementally but WRONG. It is indeed a mystery!!!

Of the 35 extra weekly points, I used 11 throughout the week --- usually 2-3 here or there a couple of times during the week. However, I earned 18 activity points this week -- so it's like I never touched the 35 and came out 7 points ahead. I changed up my workout timing routine to something I think is more manageable, and it's frustrating not to have the results show up just yet. One thing I have discovered through this whole process is that if I'm going to use any of the 35 points, I have to do it in one big WHOMP! -- a blowout meal, if you like. Using 2-3 a day doesn't work for me. It's like my body will forgive the one big thing far easier than the little ones. Go figure.....

So I am going to just keep plugging along. If I have a "bad" weigh-in this month, so be it. All through this process, whenever this has happened and I've had a setback, it has become personal. And once again, this is personal. I am NOT, repeat: NOT, going to allow a mere 2 pounds to beat me. Oh no, no, no. I am going to take this weekend to de-stress -- I am convinced that stress adds weight. Emotions add weight. All the intangibles do make a tangible difference.

I'll report my findings next week....... Count on it!

Oh, and the "more protein" thing does seem to be working very well for me. I had good portions of fish for lunch two days this week, and I did find that come my normal afternoon snack time, I wasn't as hungry as usual.... in fact one day, I ate ONLY because I had to eat something or go until 9:30 or so (once choir was over). It does make a difference for me -- your mileage may vary!

***

This week's PSA: If you are a fan of Starbucks, have you tried the Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte? I stopped by there yesterday morning to use a gift card I'd gotten earlier and got one. And then, one of my coworkers stopped this morning and got us all coffee and got me one again. It's 90 calories for the tall (12 oz), and 60 cal for the short (8 oz)! Of course, the grande and venti's are definitely higher. Since I'm not a huge fan of their products, the short and tall work just fine for me. They also have a skinny vanilla dolce latte, same stats. I may try that next........ all for you, my loyal readers. I know, it's a tough job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the risk of sounding like a Spanish soccer announcer,

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It took 3 years and 3 weeks, but I am finally 44% of the woman I was on May 11, 2006. When I started the journey, this day was not even in sight. All I could honestly think about was how to take those first steps to get through the first day and the first week. I had no idea how I was supposed to do 5 minutes a day of activity, when it took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. But if nothing else, once I make up my mind to do something.......... Here it is, June 4, 2009. I am 228 pounds lighter and a quadrillion times better. I made it through that first day, that first week just fine. I did the 5 minutes -- okay, really 10 minutes, all huffing and puffing and barely able to walk out two blocks and back. Then 20, then 30, and joined the Y, and ..... got the dog and had to walk him. Then said, "I can do a 5K." And then watched my race time improve each time I tried. In losing 228 pounds, I have gained so much. I wasn't e

Mixing up the Music.

It's definitely time to shake up the workout routine --- I have a feeling I am going to become much better acquainted with Butt-Crack O'Dawn. I especially like BCOD this time of year; in the winter, she becomes a real witch. And it's also time to shake up my workout music. I haven't really done much to the ol' MP3 player in ages. I've added a few new songs here and there, but it's time to go through the songs I have on there and prune out what isn't working, what I'm so tired of that I automatically hit forward, and what is getting me moving these days. So in order by title: (Every Time I Turn Around) Back in Love Again - LTD: Gone . It's been on there forever, and I like the song, but I am beyond tired of it. (Get Up I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine - James Brown: Gone . Ditto. A Man I'll Never Be - Boston: Gone . Love the song, and ever since Brad Delp's untimely death, it's taken on a greater poignancy for me. But workout-friendly

It's almost here......

Not Christmas. Okay, yes, it is almost here, but that's not exactly what this is about. I went to weigh in today at the noon meeting, since our center will be closed after that meeting until Friday. I stepped on the scale, and I am four pounds down from last week. FOUR. Okay, big whoop, right? Well, yeah. I haven't had a four-pound loss in forever, so YES, it is a big deal. But this means I have ten pounds to go to hit goal. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. I have to let it sink in. I never in my wildest imagination pictured myself at this point when I started out. Seriously, when I started out, I had no idea where it would all lead, or if I would have the courage and determination to continue. The earliest successes led me to believe that yes, I could do this. But I had so much weight to lose that I really couldn't picture the final "Winning Outcome" (wink!). It was only by looking piece by piece, five pounds by five pounds (or ten by ten), that I could do it. Knowing that