Skip to main content

Motivation and endurance

This week, a loss of 3.8 pounds leaves me with just 2.4 to go ..... 225.6 gone!!! And once again, it remains *personal* to get rid of those 2.4 pounds!!! They will. get. gone. And soon!!!

This week's topic is on motivation -- remembering the motivation that got us through the door. Finding the motivation that keeps us going. Thinking of what we need to do to get ourselves to our goals (weight and otherwise). The funny thing is, I was just considering motivation and endurance at lunch today as I was walking in the nice warm(!) Carolina midday sun.

My initial motivation hinged on three things: (1) needing to get in better health, and knowing my doc had recommended WW above all else; (2) seeing a horrendous picture of me and thinking, "My God do I really look that bad?"; and (3) realizing that as independent as I am, this was one battle I could not fight alone. Fighting it alone had gotten me into this pickle. I would have to swallow my pride and rely on others for assistance. I needed better structure.

So with all that in mind, what keeps me motivated? (1) Staying in good health. And I know there's always room for improvement; (2) Seeing the new pictures of me -- many where I do not recognize myself at first, and I always wonder who that girl is....; (3) Relying on the support and friendships I have found through WW -- amazing how that all worked out; (4) Knowing I have less than 5 pounds to go to hit my goal..... you better believe that right there keeps me extremely motivated! and (5) Realizing that at last, my life's mission statement is probably best fulfilled through this process.

What's that, you ask? Years ago, I worked on a special HR project for my employer. As part of the learning curve for this project, I got a copy of What Color Is Your Parachute? In it, readers are asked to create a personal mission statement for their life. Now, I was in my early 20s, and mine ended up being something vague, along the lines of "My mission in life is to help others, no matter what I am doing." (Told you - vague!) Well, heck, I hadn't really experienced enough of life to truly know myself at that point.

Except, it ended up being more prophetic than I ever imagined. That really is what I have ended up doing throughout my career and in my life so far. And I just have a feeling that in this field of self-improvement -- if nowhere else -- I have the possibility to really live that statement. Please note: I'm not trying to toot my own horn, or say "Oh, I am SO special, look at me!!!"

And I could not have made it so far without endurance. Endurance is the quality that says, "I Will." I will do this no matter how long it takes, or whatever obstacles come my way. So with both motivation and endurance, success is not only very possible, but very probable.

Find what is driving you. It may be what sent you running for better health in the first place, or it could be a different motivator. Combine with a generous portion of endurance. Cook until done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the risk of sounding like a Spanish soccer announcer,

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It took 3 years and 3 weeks, but I am finally 44% of the woman I was on May 11, 2006. When I started the journey, this day was not even in sight. All I could honestly think about was how to take those first steps to get through the first day and the first week. I had no idea how I was supposed to do 5 minutes a day of activity, when it took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. But if nothing else, once I make up my mind to do something.......... Here it is, June 4, 2009. I am 228 pounds lighter and a quadrillion times better. I made it through that first day, that first week just fine. I did the 5 minutes -- okay, really 10 minutes, all huffing and puffing and barely able to walk out two blocks and back. Then 20, then 30, and joined the Y, and ..... got the dog and had to walk him. Then said, "I can do a 5K." And then watched my race time improve each time I tried. In losing 228 pounds, I have gained so much. I wasn't e

Mixing up the Music.

It's definitely time to shake up the workout routine --- I have a feeling I am going to become much better acquainted with Butt-Crack O'Dawn. I especially like BCOD this time of year; in the winter, she becomes a real witch. And it's also time to shake up my workout music. I haven't really done much to the ol' MP3 player in ages. I've added a few new songs here and there, but it's time to go through the songs I have on there and prune out what isn't working, what I'm so tired of that I automatically hit forward, and what is getting me moving these days. So in order by title: (Every Time I Turn Around) Back in Love Again - LTD: Gone . It's been on there forever, and I like the song, but I am beyond tired of it. (Get Up I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine - James Brown: Gone . Ditto. A Man I'll Never Be - Boston: Gone . Love the song, and ever since Brad Delp's untimely death, it's taken on a greater poignancy for me. But workout-friendly

It's almost here......

Not Christmas. Okay, yes, it is almost here, but that's not exactly what this is about. I went to weigh in today at the noon meeting, since our center will be closed after that meeting until Friday. I stepped on the scale, and I am four pounds down from last week. FOUR. Okay, big whoop, right? Well, yeah. I haven't had a four-pound loss in forever, so YES, it is a big deal. But this means I have ten pounds to go to hit goal. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. I have to let it sink in. I never in my wildest imagination pictured myself at this point when I started out. Seriously, when I started out, I had no idea where it would all lead, or if I would have the courage and determination to continue. The earliest successes led me to believe that yes, I could do this. But I had so much weight to lose that I really couldn't picture the final "Winning Outcome" (wink!). It was only by looking piece by piece, five pounds by five pounds (or ten by ten), that I could do it. Knowing that