Skip to main content

Take care!

This week's topic was "DIY: Project ME!" about taking care of yourself as a priority in weight loss. What? you might say..... What difference can it make in weight loss?

Plenty. So here's the deal: take care of yourself because no one else will.

It doesn't matter if you're married or single, in good health or struggling, childless or Michelle Duggar ........... if you learn nothing else in life it's that no one else can care for you. You have to care for yourself first and foremost. Oh sure, there may be people around (spouse, child, etc.) to help you in your self-care, but you have to do it for yourself.

I don't know why exactly, but sometimes we have a lot of trouble with this concept. Maybe because we're women -- generally, the nurturers, caretakers, etc. It might be because we're Southern and it's drilled in us that the key to JOY in life is to put Jesus first, Others second, and Yourself last. There's guilt for not handling everything life throws at us. There's difficulty in saying no to people we care about (and then feeling resentful for not saying no to those who need to be told that, but we just can't bring ourselves to be meeeeean to them).

I know. Believe me, you've no idea how difficult it is for me to set a boundary because I want everyone to like me. However, the older I get, the more I realize I need to say "no" in order to really care for myself as I should. I mean, seriously, where in the Bible does it say, "Love your neighbor better than yourself?" It doesn't, by the way. It's "as" yourself. So really -- are you helping people by always giving in, and feeling resentful? Really -- do those whom you love truly benefit from you being sick and tired of being sick and tired? And really -- are you helping yourself when your inability to say "no" to others means you can't say "no" to the Twinkies calling your name?

If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will.

This is my mantra. I am 10 days from turning 40. I am single -- partly by circumstance, but mostly by choice (I am so incredibly choosy, I make Jif look like a floozy. Word.) I have no kids, and Maddox ain't gonna be around when I'm 80. I have a brother, and lots of friends, and right now, my parents are still here. But when it comes right down to it, there is only one soul on this entire earth who has the responsibility for my care: me. I have to do this and do it right because I'm all I have. That's it, that's the list.

Do I still have trouble with boundaries? Sure do. We all want everyone to like us, but I'm learning to appreciate being respected rather than liked. And I'm learning that it's okay to be a little selfish for the greater good.

And isn't your care -- physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and every other way -- really in your best interest?

Comments

Nancy said…
You are absolutely right. I will try to make this my mantra, as well. Thanks once more for the wonderful, calorie-free food for thought! And early Happy Birthday!
Br. Jonathan said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed the bit about growing up Southern Baptist.

Also, I'm glad to have found your corner of the forest in blogopia and will be stopping by.
Good stuff!

Popular posts from this blog

At the risk of sounding like a Spanish soccer announcer,

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It took 3 years and 3 weeks, but I am finally 44% of the woman I was on May 11, 2006. When I started the journey, this day was not even in sight. All I could honestly think about was how to take those first steps to get through the first day and the first week. I had no idea how I was supposed to do 5 minutes a day of activity, when it took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. But if nothing else, once I make up my mind to do something.......... Here it is, June 4, 2009. I am 228 pounds lighter and a quadrillion times better. I made it through that first day, that first week just fine. I did the 5 minutes -- okay, really 10 minutes, all huffing and puffing and barely able to walk out two blocks and back. Then 20, then 30, and joined the Y, and ..... got the dog and had to walk him. Then said, "I can do a 5K." And then watched my race time improve each time I tried. In losing 228 pounds, I have gained so much. I wasn't e

Coming Around Again

Okay, accountability time again ....... As a lot of you know, in what feels like a lifetime ago, I lost a whole kindergarten class’s weight and did it fairly quickly (3 years). It was a struggle to maintain but I managed to “only” gain back about 40 of that original 230 I lost. Then foot surgery happened and I was just learning to walk pain-free (forget 5Ks). I put on a few more but still not a lot. When mama died, the bottom dropped out and I’ve been free-falling since. And the Quarantine 14 was part of that too. So it’s past time to get back on track. This time while it’s not just the physical side of things, it’s the mental side of it too. I’ll be honest: my anxiety has gotten worse since Richard died. There have been nights I have been too scared to sleep lying down because my head pipes up, “you know, what if you die lying down?” I’ve been pretty dang determined that if it’s in my power, my daddy will not have to bury both his kids from their own stupidity. So yeah. There ya go. M

It's almost here......

Not Christmas. Okay, yes, it is almost here, but that's not exactly what this is about. I went to weigh in today at the noon meeting, since our center will be closed after that meeting until Friday. I stepped on the scale, and I am four pounds down from last week. FOUR. Okay, big whoop, right? Well, yeah. I haven't had a four-pound loss in forever, so YES, it is a big deal. But this means I have ten pounds to go to hit goal. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. I have to let it sink in. I never in my wildest imagination pictured myself at this point when I started out. Seriously, when I started out, I had no idea where it would all lead, or if I would have the courage and determination to continue. The earliest successes led me to believe that yes, I could do this. But I had so much weight to lose that I really couldn't picture the final "Winning Outcome" (wink!). It was only by looking piece by piece, five pounds by five pounds (or ten by ten), that I could do it. Knowing that