Skip to main content

Making the right choice

Pride goeth before a fall..... but while I'm still standing......

Today was a good day. I hit the gym at 5:20 AM, did 20 on the elliptical and would have gone longer but I felt a little cramping (not a pull or sore muscle but it just didn't feel right, so I took it easier). Did some legwork on the weight machines too.

Then for lunch, I had a work/lunch meeting. We met at a nearby deli with a really good grilled chicken salad. I had them take off the almonds and cheese -- just chicken & veggies. I also had a cup of their veggie beef soup; really tasty AND had blackeyed peas in it. While I don't like BEP's by themselves, they weren't bad in the soup, and gave me some extra fiber. I guesstimated the soup and salad as best I could, and had a nice, very filling 5-point lunch (at least by my best guess). By the time for my afternoon popcorn break, I was still not starving but knew I'd need something for the ride home .... and surprisingly, it didn't hold me. Normally, popcorn is just enough for me to hold me even if I decide to work out after work. But not tonight.... huh.

On the trip home, I had to stop for gas for all three tanks: my actual gas tank, my stomach, and my "caffeine" tank. I had a few extra points from today, so I went looking for .... okay, as healthy a snack as you can get at a convenience store. Around here, best of luck. So I found a Fiber One bar. I love them, but I really didn't want to invest two points in it ... especially since I was on the way home for dinner. It wasn't that I couldn't spare the points, but I didn't want to. Reluctantly though, I approached the checkout with that and my Diet Dew Code Red in hand.

And there it was. FRESH FRUIT. At the checkout. Apples -- although, YUCK, Red Delicious or Granny Smith. Yeah, those are the two easiest to find throughout the year, but really, not my favorites. There were bananas there, but I had already had one this morning. Besides, if I wasn't willing to give up two points for a Fiber One bar, then I really didn't want to for a banana. And then.... tangerines. OOOOH!!!! So I put the F1 bar back, grabbed the tangerine and paid for the goods.

YUM. It was fresh, juicy, very delicious, and surprisingly filling. But what I appreciated most about the tangerine was that I chose it. Too often, if I have to stop at a convenience store, I settle for the Fiber One bars or a protein bar where I have to break it into fourths just for 1 or 2 points (which is just a nibble)...... but it always seems that C-stores with fresh fruit (or some with ANY kind of fruit) are so far between. In my main blog, back in February, I gave serious props to Sheetz convenience stores for having fresh fruit, cut fruit, cut veggies, yogurt, etc. right there near the checkout. If we were to get a Sheetz here, I would weep with joy; the nearest one is 3-1/2 hours away. I digress....... I could have easily said, "I've got the bar, I'll just take it instead." But I realized that the tangerine would be a better choice at that time.

And truly amazing? I got the tangerine at 7:00. I just now finished dinner. I wasn't hungry enough to go heat something until 8:30. Amazing that one little tangerine accomplished that.

****

The fall? Tomorrow is our company Thanksgiving dinner. We are keeping it fairly simple this year. I'm bringing just plain corn. We're having regular vegetables, a few casseroles, and whatever desserts are being brought. I may even take my nukable sweet potato instead of having SP casserole (which I love anyway but.......). Deciding whether or not to do a quickie workout tomorrow morning, just in case. Oh my. I'm addicted, aren't I?

It's a week to go until weigh-ins start for December -- can't be too slack!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the risk of sounding like a Spanish soccer announcer,

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It took 3 years and 3 weeks, but I am finally 44% of the woman I was on May 11, 2006. When I started the journey, this day was not even in sight. All I could honestly think about was how to take those first steps to get through the first day and the first week. I had no idea how I was supposed to do 5 minutes a day of activity, when it took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. But if nothing else, once I make up my mind to do something.......... Here it is, June 4, 2009. I am 228 pounds lighter and a quadrillion times better. I made it through that first day, that first week just fine. I did the 5 minutes -- okay, really 10 minutes, all huffing and puffing and barely able to walk out two blocks and back. Then 20, then 30, and joined the Y, and ..... got the dog and had to walk him. Then said, "I can do a 5K." And then watched my race time improve each time I tried. In losing 228 pounds, I have gained so much. I wasn't e

Mixing up the Music.

It's definitely time to shake up the workout routine --- I have a feeling I am going to become much better acquainted with Butt-Crack O'Dawn. I especially like BCOD this time of year; in the winter, she becomes a real witch. And it's also time to shake up my workout music. I haven't really done much to the ol' MP3 player in ages. I've added a few new songs here and there, but it's time to go through the songs I have on there and prune out what isn't working, what I'm so tired of that I automatically hit forward, and what is getting me moving these days. So in order by title: (Every Time I Turn Around) Back in Love Again - LTD: Gone . It's been on there forever, and I like the song, but I am beyond tired of it. (Get Up I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine - James Brown: Gone . Ditto. A Man I'll Never Be - Boston: Gone . Love the song, and ever since Brad Delp's untimely death, it's taken on a greater poignancy for me. But workout-friendly

It's almost here......

Not Christmas. Okay, yes, it is almost here, but that's not exactly what this is about. I went to weigh in today at the noon meeting, since our center will be closed after that meeting until Friday. I stepped on the scale, and I am four pounds down from last week. FOUR. Okay, big whoop, right? Well, yeah. I haven't had a four-pound loss in forever, so YES, it is a big deal. But this means I have ten pounds to go to hit goal. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. I have to let it sink in. I never in my wildest imagination pictured myself at this point when I started out. Seriously, when I started out, I had no idea where it would all lead, or if I would have the courage and determination to continue. The earliest successes led me to believe that yes, I could do this. But I had so much weight to lose that I really couldn't picture the final "Winning Outcome" (wink!). It was only by looking piece by piece, five pounds by five pounds (or ten by ten), that I could do it. Knowing that