Skip to main content

The DIG DEEP bone

Throughout my life I have been a voracious reader, but the last couple of years, it has taken me forever to get through books. I keep ordering them and getting them at used bookstores (I know, what is WRONG with me - I can't even finish the ones I have!), but....... anyway, the latest one that I am so very slowly making my way through is Brene Brown's The Gifts of Imperfection. It's an excellent book so far, I just would like an uninterrupted afternoon to make my way through it. More on that to come.

One of the things that she mentions in there is people who constantly just dig deep when the going is tough and they've hit the wall but they just keep on going. Of course, she goes on to say, but what do you do when that doesn't work, and redefines DIG. I won't give her secrets away here (but really, get the book: it is good!). I thought about that in my own life.

I am blessed that I have been gifted with a DIG DEEP bone. Did I always use this gift? Are you kidding me? Would I have needed to write this blog had I used it properly? Once I discovered that I really did have this special gift, I decided that I needed to use it as often as necessary. Last week was one of those weeks. I'd done everything I was supposed to do, and still had an uptick on the scale. But I also knew that I had done nothing wrong, it was a blip, and I needed to dig a little deeper and just plow on. And I did precisely that and lost not only everything I'd "put on" (ahem: water weight!) but that number again, AND a little more. I'm getting ever closer to being back where I want to be -- and I love that feeling.

But no resting on my laurels..... hey, that reminds me, just where are my laurels, anyway? ...... and I am so psyched about my upcoming activity plans for the next couple of months. Biking on the VA Creeper Trail this weekend, and four different 5K's in November and December. Plus gym work and who knows what else? I need to get back to yoga -- I do miss it, and need to work it back in my plans. That's the one area I've slacked on lately and I miss that lovely time of shutting out the world and just breathing and moving ever so gently. I just need to dig a little deeper and rearrange some things to make it happen.

Which brings me to this thought............... What do you need to dig deep, if you're not sure you have a DIG DEEP bone?

  • Practice. There is a saying about doing one thing each day that scares you. No better way to find your DIG DEEP bone than to scare yourself pantsless until you realize that yeah, you CAN do this!
  • Remind yourself that the outcome is worth the work. Whatever you expend into this will be rewarded!
  • Ask yourself what's the alternative (or the alternatives) .... are they worth it? One thing that I always remember asking myself in my college and early adult years was, "If I do (x) {or alternately, if I didn't do [x] that was good for me}, what will I think when I look at myself in the mirror the next day?" Would I feel better about myself? Would I be proud of whatever effort I put in, or ashamed that I hadn't done my best? Always doing a risk-reward analysis, but it paid off. There were times I would think that something wasn't worth the guilt I would feel, or doing something when I didn't feel like it would make me really proud of myself. So I still do -- would wallowing in self-pity and eating a donut really make me feel better, or make me proud? Would getting up at the crack-a-dawn and putting in a good honest workout leave me feeling good about myself, instead of rolling back over and hitting the snooze bar?
  • Destroy the negative self-talk tape and replace it with positive self-talk. It is something I always struggle with ..... that inner voice. It's not just about my size or my habits or anything in particular. I struggle with it all the time, in every situation. Sometimes, it plays the most negative stuff -- and the worst moments are when I not only listen, but choose to hit rewind over and over. Other times, when it tries, I'm able to stop and say, "What a liar! Telling me I'm not worth the trouble. I'll show it! I am TOO worth every ounce of energy I put into this....." or sometimes, "Did that person really say that? Okay, well, they might think I'm (fill in the blank) but that's just their opinion and I choose to disagree. I *know* I'm not the things they think I am!"

So when you're faced with a situation where you're not sure you can go on, dig a little deeper..... go on for one more minute. Then the next, and the next, until you've hit an hour. And the next, and the next. And WOW you've made it a day, just digging a little deeper, moment by moment. You just put one foot down in front of the other. Again and again.

You can do it. You are worth it. Dig a little deeper.

And WW members -- if you do not own a copy of the Power Foods cookbook, then get one at your next meeting, and make the Turkey, Zucchini, and Quinoa miniloaves. Oh. My. Gosh. So. Good!!!!!! (And very filling, too!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the risk of sounding like a Spanish soccer announcer,

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It took 3 years and 3 weeks, but I am finally 44% of the woman I was on May 11, 2006. When I started the journey, this day was not even in sight. All I could honestly think about was how to take those first steps to get through the first day and the first week. I had no idea how I was supposed to do 5 minutes a day of activity, when it took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. But if nothing else, once I make up my mind to do something.......... Here it is, June 4, 2009. I am 228 pounds lighter and a quadrillion times better. I made it through that first day, that first week just fine. I did the 5 minutes -- okay, really 10 minutes, all huffing and puffing and barely able to walk out two blocks and back. Then 20, then 30, and joined the Y, and ..... got the dog and had to walk him. Then said, "I can do a 5K." And then watched my race time improve each time I tried. In losing 228 pounds, I have gained so much. I wasn't e

It's almost here......

Not Christmas. Okay, yes, it is almost here, but that's not exactly what this is about. I went to weigh in today at the noon meeting, since our center will be closed after that meeting until Friday. I stepped on the scale, and I am four pounds down from last week. FOUR. Okay, big whoop, right? Well, yeah. I haven't had a four-pound loss in forever, so YES, it is a big deal. But this means I have ten pounds to go to hit goal. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. I have to let it sink in. I never in my wildest imagination pictured myself at this point when I started out. Seriously, when I started out, I had no idea where it would all lead, or if I would have the courage and determination to continue. The earliest successes led me to believe that yes, I could do this. But I had so much weight to lose that I really couldn't picture the final "Winning Outcome" (wink!). It was only by looking piece by piece, five pounds by five pounds (or ten by ten), that I could do it. Knowing that

Coming Around Again

Okay, accountability time again ....... As a lot of you know, in what feels like a lifetime ago, I lost a whole kindergarten class’s weight and did it fairly quickly (3 years). It was a struggle to maintain but I managed to “only” gain back about 40 of that original 230 I lost. Then foot surgery happened and I was just learning to walk pain-free (forget 5Ks). I put on a few more but still not a lot. When mama died, the bottom dropped out and I’ve been free-falling since. And the Quarantine 14 was part of that too. So it’s past time to get back on track. This time while it’s not just the physical side of things, it’s the mental side of it too. I’ll be honest: my anxiety has gotten worse since Richard died. There have been nights I have been too scared to sleep lying down because my head pipes up, “you know, what if you die lying down?” I’ve been pretty dang determined that if it’s in my power, my daddy will not have to bury both his kids from their own stupidity. So yeah. There ya go. M