Skip to main content

3 In A Row!!!!

YAHOO! A loss!!! One pound even for a total of 210.4 -- leaving 17.6 to go!

This marks three Thanksgiving weeks in a row with a loss. Rare? Probably, but I work hard to make sure that I stay on program as much as possible so that I can enjoy the one day and not think too deeply about it. I find that even on the one day, I don't gorge myself but I enjoy the foods in moderation. I also noticed that this year, I ate more veggies than anything else -- broccoli, green beans, and corn, with turkey and only a little bit of dressing. And I am a dressing junkie!

Because my usual WW center was closed this morning, I went to the one nearest home. Oddly enough, I had forgotten all about weigh-in. I woke at 7:45, fixed my cereal and banana, got ready to go to the table and said, "CRAP!!!! WEIGH-IN!!!!!!" So I very hurriedly freshened up, changed into weigh-in clothes, and off I went. Normally, I would have driven to hit the 8:30 over at my usual center (nearest work), but I figured, heck, closer is closer. I got there about 8:15 (missing the first part of the meeting, but....) I'm so glad I went -- Mrs. Crowe was the receptionist who weighed me in. She's also mom to one of my brother's friends, so she's known me for a very long time. She stopped the leader and said, "I'm sorry to interrupt, but this lady has lost 210 pounds and lost again this week!" Elaine (the leader) said, "OH!!! You're the one I've heard so much about from Debbie!" Holy cow. I'm becoming a phenom! :D

Plus, I got to see some people I hadn't seen in ages -- Trina from the Y, Patty from my old church, Jane whose sons are near both my age and my brother's. I even got to see my cousin (who came to weigh in but didn't stay for the meeting). That was cool!

***

Right now, the weather is chilly and drizzly and yucky-gray. And since 8:00 last night, I have had a good, healthy chili simmering in the crockpot. Here's my recipe!

Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
12 servings, 3 pts each (1.5 c per serving)

Ingredients
  • 20 oz lean ground turkey (at least 93/7 blend)
  • 2 bell peppers (one red, one green), chopped
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 1 8-oz package sliced mushrooms
  • 1 medium zucchini, sliced
  • 2 cans canned diced tomatoes (14-15 oz cans)
  • 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained (one light, one dark)
  • 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
  • 1 can yellow corn (15 oz)
  • 2 Tbsp Tabasco
  • spices to taste
In 6-quart slow cooker, put half the ground turkey. Chop pepper, onion, zucchini, and mushrooms, and add to slow cooker. Add diced tomatoes (with juice) and tomato sauce. Rinse and drain beans, then add. Drain corn and add. Then add remaining ground turkey. Add hot sauce, and any spices (cumin, rosemary, basil, cilantro, etc.) Cook for 8-12 hours on low heat, or 4-6 hours on high. If at all possible, stir occasionally. YUM!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the risk of sounding like a Spanish soccer announcer,

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It took 3 years and 3 weeks, but I am finally 44% of the woman I was on May 11, 2006. When I started the journey, this day was not even in sight. All I could honestly think about was how to take those first steps to get through the first day and the first week. I had no idea how I was supposed to do 5 minutes a day of activity, when it took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. But if nothing else, once I make up my mind to do something.......... Here it is, June 4, 2009. I am 228 pounds lighter and a quadrillion times better. I made it through that first day, that first week just fine. I did the 5 minutes -- okay, really 10 minutes, all huffing and puffing and barely able to walk out two blocks and back. Then 20, then 30, and joined the Y, and ..... got the dog and had to walk him. Then said, "I can do a 5K." And then watched my race time improve each time I tried. In losing 228 pounds, I have gained so much. I wasn't e

Mixing up the Music.

It's definitely time to shake up the workout routine --- I have a feeling I am going to become much better acquainted with Butt-Crack O'Dawn. I especially like BCOD this time of year; in the winter, she becomes a real witch. And it's also time to shake up my workout music. I haven't really done much to the ol' MP3 player in ages. I've added a few new songs here and there, but it's time to go through the songs I have on there and prune out what isn't working, what I'm so tired of that I automatically hit forward, and what is getting me moving these days. So in order by title: (Every Time I Turn Around) Back in Love Again - LTD: Gone . It's been on there forever, and I like the song, but I am beyond tired of it. (Get Up I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine - James Brown: Gone . Ditto. A Man I'll Never Be - Boston: Gone . Love the song, and ever since Brad Delp's untimely death, it's taken on a greater poignancy for me. But workout-friendly

It's almost here......

Not Christmas. Okay, yes, it is almost here, but that's not exactly what this is about. I went to weigh in today at the noon meeting, since our center will be closed after that meeting until Friday. I stepped on the scale, and I am four pounds down from last week. FOUR. Okay, big whoop, right? Well, yeah. I haven't had a four-pound loss in forever, so YES, it is a big deal. But this means I have ten pounds to go to hit goal. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. I have to let it sink in. I never in my wildest imagination pictured myself at this point when I started out. Seriously, when I started out, I had no idea where it would all lead, or if I would have the courage and determination to continue. The earliest successes led me to believe that yes, I could do this. But I had so much weight to lose that I really couldn't picture the final "Winning Outcome" (wink!). It was only by looking piece by piece, five pounds by five pounds (or ten by ten), that I could do it. Knowing that