Skip to main content

A Tale of Tenny-Shoes

I had no idea that I had gone so long between posts....... June was a very busy month but a great one. In early June, WW had a "FitParty" day to end our spring Live Life Active campaign. I got to help out with one of our local events and we had a great time. We did hula-hooping, Zumba with coined hip-scarves (even doing routines with more of a Mediterranean/bellydance flair instead of Latin flavored), and a quickie yoga session.

But the one talk/presentation that I got the most out of was a presentation about shoes. You see, I have about 3 pairs of tennis shoes -- they are not sneakers, they are not gym shoes, they are TENNIS SHOES. And for some of us who speak Southernese, it's actually "tenny shoes"  (pronounced "tinny"). I've worn good ol' tinny-shoes for years on end, but I couldn't tell you the last time I had bought a new pair. A fitness seminar I took this spring had a great reminder from our leader: "if you can't remember the last time you bought new athletic shoes, you need a new pair." Rut-roh Raggy. She was right. I couldn't remember...... All three had heavy heel erosion on the sole, and one pair (a nice pair of mesh Adidas running shoes) had even worn a hole right at the left big toe. The last pair I bought was a knock-off pair of the Reebok rock-n-toners that were all the rage a few years ago, and honestly, I bought them to keep at the office for when I could walk on lunch hour.

About 18 months ago, I had a severe shooting, stabbing pain in my left foot, searing across the top from the middle section just below the big toe, diagonally up to just below my little toe. OUCHIE! I was doing a calf raise, so this didn't exactly help matters when you're trying to stand on the balls of your feet. By April, it was no better. My lymphedema therapist's husband is a physical therapist and avid runner, and he was speaking to me about it .... suddenly, he mashed on my foot and I nearly came off the table. He suggested I get checked for a stress fracture. And I did just that. Luckily, nothing broken but they gave me a beauty of a velcro boot to wear for a couple of weeks. Eventually the pain went away, unless I overdid things, such as walk more than about 2 miles. Or stand for long periods of time. Recently, it was getting to the point that if I walked my normal route (between 1.5 and 2.0 miles), I would have to take the next day off. Step cardio? RIGHT. That would earn me at least 2 days off.

And then came Dane, from the store, to speak to us about the right shoe. What he said began to intrigue me, and I made a note to myself that I would have to check them out and see what they said about new shoes. It took me about 3 weeks to actually get over there one Friday after work, and it just so happened, he was the one who helped me out. Found out that I need a "stability shoe" (a little extra heavy-duty foam in certain sections) in order to support my feet and ankles properly. So after trying on eleventy pairs, the first ones were the best. Awesome shoes from Brooks, and so far, ten days later, my feet are thanking me.

You see, when you aren't in pain as you walk, do step, or any other activity, it inspires you to want to keep doing it. It makes you WANT to lace up those shoes. It makes you want to put a spring in your step and know that you can do the same the next day. And so far -- yeah, I'm doing more!

And my other shoes? Well, what I'm thinking is that there's always someone else who can use them. They are still good shoes to cover your feet, just not optimal for running or workouts. So I plan to donate them to a charity that shoes the homeless or needy. Not that I couldn't just toss them in the Goodwill bag, but something is telling me to give them away instead. I won't ignore that voice.

And I'm loving my new tenny-shoes. A very SNAZZY purple with lime green laces. Oh yeah! That's me! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the risk of sounding like a Spanish soccer announcer,

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It took 3 years and 3 weeks, but I am finally 44% of the woman I was on May 11, 2006. When I started the journey, this day was not even in sight. All I could honestly think about was how to take those first steps to get through the first day and the first week. I had no idea how I was supposed to do 5 minutes a day of activity, when it took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. But if nothing else, once I make up my mind to do something.......... Here it is, June 4, 2009. I am 228 pounds lighter and a quadrillion times better. I made it through that first day, that first week just fine. I did the 5 minutes -- okay, really 10 minutes, all huffing and puffing and barely able to walk out two blocks and back. Then 20, then 30, and joined the Y, and ..... got the dog and had to walk him. Then said, "I can do a 5K." And then watched my race time improve each time I tried. In losing 228 pounds, I have gained so much. I wasn't e

Mixing up the Music.

It's definitely time to shake up the workout routine --- I have a feeling I am going to become much better acquainted with Butt-Crack O'Dawn. I especially like BCOD this time of year; in the winter, she becomes a real witch. And it's also time to shake up my workout music. I haven't really done much to the ol' MP3 player in ages. I've added a few new songs here and there, but it's time to go through the songs I have on there and prune out what isn't working, what I'm so tired of that I automatically hit forward, and what is getting me moving these days. So in order by title: (Every Time I Turn Around) Back in Love Again - LTD: Gone . It's been on there forever, and I like the song, but I am beyond tired of it. (Get Up I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine - James Brown: Gone . Ditto. A Man I'll Never Be - Boston: Gone . Love the song, and ever since Brad Delp's untimely death, it's taken on a greater poignancy for me. But workout-friendly

It's almost here......

Not Christmas. Okay, yes, it is almost here, but that's not exactly what this is about. I went to weigh in today at the noon meeting, since our center will be closed after that meeting until Friday. I stepped on the scale, and I am four pounds down from last week. FOUR. Okay, big whoop, right? Well, yeah. I haven't had a four-pound loss in forever, so YES, it is a big deal. But this means I have ten pounds to go to hit goal. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. I have to let it sink in. I never in my wildest imagination pictured myself at this point when I started out. Seriously, when I started out, I had no idea where it would all lead, or if I would have the courage and determination to continue. The earliest successes led me to believe that yes, I could do this. But I had so much weight to lose that I really couldn't picture the final "Winning Outcome" (wink!). It was only by looking piece by piece, five pounds by five pounds (or ten by ten), that I could do it. Knowing that