Skip to main content

Science!

I admit that I have become a junkie when it comes to reading up on the advances that science is finding about the human body, especially as it relates to food and fitness. I know, some of that is from my own experiences and some comes from working in the industry (even part-time), but the ones that fascinate me most are the psychological studies in both fields. I like the physiological ones -- how food reacts in the body or how exercise affects the body, or the processes involved with each. But sometimes the biggest challenges (and opportunities) are found in our minds.

For instance, just a few weeks ago, I learned about studies on "hedonic hunger" ..... eating when we aren't hungry because we have somehow responded to a cue. It could be visual (such as an ad on TV) or olfactory  (passing by a Cinnabon and inhaling. Deeply.), or even something as simple as "Hey, let's go get Chinese!" And suddenly, the fact that you JUST had a satisfying snack of something good, it does not matter. You will have that Chinese food or croak trying. You are suddenly very hungry (on a non-empty stomach) and only an egg roll will begin to do.

Tell me about it ....... I do not know how people in New Orleans can be skinny when they are surrounded by all that decadence. I went out with friends when I was down there for a visit, and thought I did pretty well for dinner. I even tracked it until it came to dessert .... which none of us NEEDED, because we'd all just eaten a very satisfying meal. So we agreed to get a couple of desserts and share them; better, right? Yeah. Let me tell you, I have found a dessert that I have renamed The Big O On A Tiny Plate. Because that's exactly what it is. We all took a spoonful and nearly knocked each other over to get the next bite. It didn't matter that we had just eaten a full meal. It didn't matter that we'd just had a very satisfying taste of a luscious dessert (with dark chocolate. And pecan brittle. Oh, and salted caramel. Lawd have mercy......) We. Had. To. Have. More.....

Imagine a weekend of that, where every dish was divine, but less than the healthiest thing out there. And I just didn't care. I was going to taste New Orleans. And believe me, I did. Po-Boys. Beignets. Gumbo. A Pat O'Brien's hurricane (though I was good, only half of one)...... Great googly-moogly.

Imagine the impact on the scale the next week. Let me just tell you, "not pretty" doesn't begin to cover it. Luckily, most of it has come back off, but it is a prime example of hedonic hunger -- we were not hungry. We had no intention of having more than one bite. But once we dove into those delectable desserts, with fat, salt, sugar...... those dopamine pathways overrode every good intention, and every piece of science I knew that screamed "NO!!! Put the spoon DOWN!"

Okay, disclaimer here: I do work for Weight Watchers (as if you didn't know that already), and I am going to recommend a blogpost by our CEO, David Kirchhoff at his Man Meets Scale blog. It is worth a great read on what we've learned so far in scientific studies (those we've done and those by other groups).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the risk of sounding like a Spanish soccer announcer,

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It took 3 years and 3 weeks, but I am finally 44% of the woman I was on May 11, 2006. When I started the journey, this day was not even in sight. All I could honestly think about was how to take those first steps to get through the first day and the first week. I had no idea how I was supposed to do 5 minutes a day of activity, when it took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. But if nothing else, once I make up my mind to do something.......... Here it is, June 4, 2009. I am 228 pounds lighter and a quadrillion times better. I made it through that first day, that first week just fine. I did the 5 minutes -- okay, really 10 minutes, all huffing and puffing and barely able to walk out two blocks and back. Then 20, then 30, and joined the Y, and ..... got the dog and had to walk him. Then said, "I can do a 5K." And then watched my race time improve each time I tried. In losing 228 pounds, I have gained so much. I wasn't e

Mixing up the Music.

It's definitely time to shake up the workout routine --- I have a feeling I am going to become much better acquainted with Butt-Crack O'Dawn. I especially like BCOD this time of year; in the winter, she becomes a real witch. And it's also time to shake up my workout music. I haven't really done much to the ol' MP3 player in ages. I've added a few new songs here and there, but it's time to go through the songs I have on there and prune out what isn't working, what I'm so tired of that I automatically hit forward, and what is getting me moving these days. So in order by title: (Every Time I Turn Around) Back in Love Again - LTD: Gone . It's been on there forever, and I like the song, but I am beyond tired of it. (Get Up I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine - James Brown: Gone . Ditto. A Man I'll Never Be - Boston: Gone . Love the song, and ever since Brad Delp's untimely death, it's taken on a greater poignancy for me. But workout-friendly

It's almost here......

Not Christmas. Okay, yes, it is almost here, but that's not exactly what this is about. I went to weigh in today at the noon meeting, since our center will be closed after that meeting until Friday. I stepped on the scale, and I am four pounds down from last week. FOUR. Okay, big whoop, right? Well, yeah. I haven't had a four-pound loss in forever, so YES, it is a big deal. But this means I have ten pounds to go to hit goal. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. I have to let it sink in. I never in my wildest imagination pictured myself at this point when I started out. Seriously, when I started out, I had no idea where it would all lead, or if I would have the courage and determination to continue. The earliest successes led me to believe that yes, I could do this. But I had so much weight to lose that I really couldn't picture the final "Winning Outcome" (wink!). It was only by looking piece by piece, five pounds by five pounds (or ten by ten), that I could do it. Knowing that