Skip to main content

Physician, Heal Thyself

Here's the short story – up a little but with a good explanation: department luncheon meeting 2 hours before weigh-in. So it was an unofficial weigh-in; official one this weekend. And to try to do something different to get this weight down, I’m trying the Simply Filling Technique for a week – no tracking except for the non-filling foods I choose. For portion control, I will eat until I am satisfied – note: this doesn’t mean full as a tick or stuffed … it means, I could eat more but I’m good where I am.

Now for the deeper thoughts ….. At my job, each morning I run a computer routine that triggers part of what I do in purchasing. This morning, it ran veerrrrrryyyy sssslllloooooowwwwwwly. While I was waiting on it to chug along, I visited WW e-Tools for more information on Simply Filling. In following one link, I saw a messageboard post from someone who is struggling with the idea of loving a “defective” body (she has some health issues and my heart really hurt for her…). And I can relate to some degree, so I took a moment to respond.

Regular readers know that lately, I can’t seem to figure out why, after all these years, my body is in rebellion. It has decided that all the hard work I’ve put in is nice, but it has its own agenda apparently. This was part of what I wrote to the other poster:

{snip} So I lose all this weight and now while I'm in much improved condition, my body is somehow not with the program. I'm seeking answers myself for some things and feel like I'm spinning my wheels. It is so frustrating .... but then I think this: I'm alive and moving. I could be dead.

I'm a few years older. My body is not the amazing factory-new machine it was a few years ago. I've put a few more hundred-thousand miles on it. Changed up the chassis and cleaned out the engine, but most of the original parts are still there and now have at least 40 years wear on them. I didn't do myself any favors for abusing my body for 25+ years. Losing all the weight doesn't mean I live happily ever after. It means I live a lot longer with better skills and decision-making ideas. If there's something medical going on, I go in armed with information, and work with the doctors to figure it out. I have to learn to make peace with my body.

I don't have all the answers. I'm also learning to love my body, flaws and all. I'll have moments when I get down and discouraged - I'll rage at the heavens and pound the earth with my fist and throw a big ol' hissy fit. But then I will think how lucky I am to be moving and raging and learning and growing-as-I'm-shrinking...... and that is a beautiful moment indeed.


Physician, heal thyself. I struggle with the unexplained weight spike that’s been going on since February. I struggle with hormonal issues and possible repercussions throughout in my endocrine system (and the rest of my body). The body is amazing in its complexities and how every system interacts with each other….. it both awes me and frustrates me.

But I am alive. I am moving. I am breathing. I am reasoning and thinking, and my mind is still fairly sharp (no comments from the peanut gallery). My body is older but it moves and reacts in ways it never could have even 5 years ago or 10 years ago, when I was younger and supposedly in better condition. Looking back, I realize that I was playing Russian roulette, spinning that chamber and grinning each time there was a click and no bullet. What was I thinking back then, that I had some sort of semi-charmed life? I think that's what I need to focus more on -- the gratitude for what I have and less of the "what the Hades is WRONG with me?"

***

PS: So far so good with the Simply Filling. Yes I realize I'm only 2 meals and one snack into it, but it's been interesting so far. Right at this very second I am mentally craving something sweet, but my stomach tells me I don't really need it. Listening to my mind might be a terrible thing for my waist! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the risk of sounding like a Spanish soccer announcer,

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It took 3 years and 3 weeks, but I am finally 44% of the woman I was on May 11, 2006. When I started the journey, this day was not even in sight. All I could honestly think about was how to take those first steps to get through the first day and the first week. I had no idea how I was supposed to do 5 minutes a day of activity, when it took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. But if nothing else, once I make up my mind to do something.......... Here it is, June 4, 2009. I am 228 pounds lighter and a quadrillion times better. I made it through that first day, that first week just fine. I did the 5 minutes -- okay, really 10 minutes, all huffing and puffing and barely able to walk out two blocks and back. Then 20, then 30, and joined the Y, and ..... got the dog and had to walk him. Then said, "I can do a 5K." And then watched my race time improve each time I tried. In losing 228 pounds, I have gained so much. I wasn't e

It's almost here......

Not Christmas. Okay, yes, it is almost here, but that's not exactly what this is about. I went to weigh in today at the noon meeting, since our center will be closed after that meeting until Friday. I stepped on the scale, and I am four pounds down from last week. FOUR. Okay, big whoop, right? Well, yeah. I haven't had a four-pound loss in forever, so YES, it is a big deal. But this means I have ten pounds to go to hit goal. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. I have to let it sink in. I never in my wildest imagination pictured myself at this point when I started out. Seriously, when I started out, I had no idea where it would all lead, or if I would have the courage and determination to continue. The earliest successes led me to believe that yes, I could do this. But I had so much weight to lose that I really couldn't picture the final "Winning Outcome" (wink!). It was only by looking piece by piece, five pounds by five pounds (or ten by ten), that I could do it. Knowing that

Coming Around Again

Okay, accountability time again ....... As a lot of you know, in what feels like a lifetime ago, I lost a whole kindergarten class’s weight and did it fairly quickly (3 years). It was a struggle to maintain but I managed to “only” gain back about 40 of that original 230 I lost. Then foot surgery happened and I was just learning to walk pain-free (forget 5Ks). I put on a few more but still not a lot. When mama died, the bottom dropped out and I’ve been free-falling since. And the Quarantine 14 was part of that too. So it’s past time to get back on track. This time while it’s not just the physical side of things, it’s the mental side of it too. I’ll be honest: my anxiety has gotten worse since Richard died. There have been nights I have been too scared to sleep lying down because my head pipes up, “you know, what if you die lying down?” I’ve been pretty dang determined that if it’s in my power, my daddy will not have to bury both his kids from their own stupidity. So yeah. There ya go. M