Skip to main content

Thoughts from the deep woods.....

I went camping this weekend -- just me, my dog, a tent, a cooler, my car, and a reservation at a state park. I ended up cutting the visit short due to an infinite number of bites from infinitesimally small insects which never should have made their way to the Ark, but that's another tale for another blog.

I was close enough to town that if I'd needed to, I could have gone back for meals, but what's the fun in that? Half the joy is in living off what you can bring with you. So I brought a propane campstove (borrowed from some friends), a whistling kettle from my kitchen, some oatmeal and some dehydrated egg cups for breakfast, and stopped on the way for other things I'd need for the long weekend: salad mix, chunk chicken, lo-carb tortillas for wraps, a small veggie tray (tomatoes, baby carrots, broccoli florets), almonds for snacks, and baggies of dogfood for my pet. And when I got nearer to the state park, I stopped at a grocery store for some deli turkey and some cheese slices..... odd, since I hadn't really planned on that, but something told me to get it. I had packed some healthy chips and Starbucks Via packs as well. I'm not a Starbucks fan, but one does what one has to. I had some Better'n Peanut Butter as well, so I felt I was pretty well stocked.

It took a while but I got camp set up, and boiled some water for coffee to enjoy by the fire..... I ended up enjoying it while staring out into the darkness because I couldn't get the fire going..... and a migraine was trying to make a comeback. UGH! So I went to bed much earlier than planned -- and if you want the funnier details, please check out my "real" blog Meanderings & Musings....

Anyway, the next morning I got up to make coffee and ..... the campstove refused to light. At all. So I grabbed a second propane bottle (thinking the first was empty). Nope. Nothing. Went to the park store to buy another bottle. And STILL nothing. At this point, I was ready to go into town to search out more information from the hardware store or other knowledgeable source. And to round up some breakfast. Without the campstove, no water for coffee or oatmeal, or egg cup, or anything else. AAAAAGH! So at this point, it was nearly 9:30 AM and all I wanted was ANYTHING.

Believe it or not, Mickey D's has some pretty darn healthy breakfast options -- specifically, if you get the fruit & nut oatmeal or the Egg White Delight McMuffin. Heck, for that matter, a real plain Egg McMuffin is a good choice too! So I got the Egg White Delight McMuffin meal -- which I thought was just the McMuffin and the coffee. But OOPSIE, I opened the bag and there was a hash brown patty. But I decided to eat it anyway, and know that I could make adjustments later in the day. And I knew that I would be getting in a lot of activity. So I didn't sweat it too much.

Around 1:00 I ate a very light lunch -- a wrap with some of the turkey and cheese, along with some of the veggies from the veggie tray, an apple, and some healthier chips. Friends came over and we got more walking in. I didn't eat dinner again until nearly 8:00 PM -- and that was just salad mix with some of the chunk chicken, and a container of shelf-stable low-fat milk (yay for TruMoo tetrapaks!) And again, I wasn't starving. By the time I went to bed, having tracked everything, I still had just a few Points in my target left. But I left them. I wasn't hungry.... no need to

Sunday was pretty much the same routine, except by 9:00 AM I was covered in enough bug bites to decide I'd had enough. I packed up and headed for home, again stopping at Mickey D's around 9:45 AM for a brunch meal (this time, without hash brown!) and milk instead of coffee. And I did not eat again until last night's dinner around 6:00.

But here's the really interesting thing....... when I got home and was surrounded by food choices, I found I wanted to eat. We joke about food calling our name.... but it was almost like that. When I didn't have (whatever) anywhere near me, and it was too much trouble to go into town for (whatever), then I didn't think about it, didn't even have it cross my radar, and I didn't miss it. Having it in the same house or sometimes in the same room ..... and I suddenly HAD to have it.

So over the next couple of weeks, I'll be taking stock of what I really have, what I don't need to have on hand, and doing a little something I call, "EATING WHAT I HAVE!" Getting fresh fruit or frozen veggies or getting more milk is one thing. But picking up something just because, "ooh, I might want this soon..." or "hey, I wanna try this and today's the day!".... no. Just no. And guess what, I bet I'll find after a couple of weeks that I suddenly have room in my section of the freezer and pantry. WOW. There's a novel idea.

And so from the sand-flea, sand-gnat, mosquito-infested woods and sand of the Carolina coast comes some much needed insight.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the risk of sounding like a Spanish soccer announcer,

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It took 3 years and 3 weeks, but I am finally 44% of the woman I was on May 11, 2006. When I started the journey, this day was not even in sight. All I could honestly think about was how to take those first steps to get through the first day and the first week. I had no idea how I was supposed to do 5 minutes a day of activity, when it took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. But if nothing else, once I make up my mind to do something.......... Here it is, June 4, 2009. I am 228 pounds lighter and a quadrillion times better. I made it through that first day, that first week just fine. I did the 5 minutes -- okay, really 10 minutes, all huffing and puffing and barely able to walk out two blocks and back. Then 20, then 30, and joined the Y, and ..... got the dog and had to walk him. Then said, "I can do a 5K." And then watched my race time improve each time I tried. In losing 228 pounds, I have gained so much. I wasn't e

It's almost here......

Not Christmas. Okay, yes, it is almost here, but that's not exactly what this is about. I went to weigh in today at the noon meeting, since our center will be closed after that meeting until Friday. I stepped on the scale, and I am four pounds down from last week. FOUR. Okay, big whoop, right? Well, yeah. I haven't had a four-pound loss in forever, so YES, it is a big deal. But this means I have ten pounds to go to hit goal. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. I have to let it sink in. I never in my wildest imagination pictured myself at this point when I started out. Seriously, when I started out, I had no idea where it would all lead, or if I would have the courage and determination to continue. The earliest successes led me to believe that yes, I could do this. But I had so much weight to lose that I really couldn't picture the final "Winning Outcome" (wink!). It was only by looking piece by piece, five pounds by five pounds (or ten by ten), that I could do it. Knowing that

Coming Around Again

Okay, accountability time again ....... As a lot of you know, in what feels like a lifetime ago, I lost a whole kindergarten class’s weight and did it fairly quickly (3 years). It was a struggle to maintain but I managed to “only” gain back about 40 of that original 230 I lost. Then foot surgery happened and I was just learning to walk pain-free (forget 5Ks). I put on a few more but still not a lot. When mama died, the bottom dropped out and I’ve been free-falling since. And the Quarantine 14 was part of that too. So it’s past time to get back on track. This time while it’s not just the physical side of things, it’s the mental side of it too. I’ll be honest: my anxiety has gotten worse since Richard died. There have been nights I have been too scared to sleep lying down because my head pipes up, “you know, what if you die lying down?” I’ve been pretty dang determined that if it’s in my power, my daddy will not have to bury both his kids from their own stupidity. So yeah. There ya go. M