Skip to main content

A little loss, a big gain

My loss this week was relatively small -- 0.8 pounds -- but that brings my total to 214 even. This means I have just 14 pounds to go. Under 15 to go. It almost doesn't seem real. I'm serious.... it almost doesn't seem real. Nearly 3 years ago, I could not imagine reaching this point -- at least not seeing it real and in the mirror. It seemed more like a dream, one of those "wow, that sounds nice and I'm gonna try... really. I am....."

My big gain this week was a huge boost to my self-confidence -- from several sources. On Sunday, I met my best friend and her family for lunch after Mass. Now, she and I have known each other for 21 years now, and her husband's known me for 19 years. Once they were seated, he looked at me and said, "You know, I didn't recognize you when we walked in...." (my back was to the door). Holy cow -- can you believe it??? Just the week before at choir practice, one of my fellow altos remarked that none of them could believe how skinny I looked from the back. Skinny -- now there is a word that has hardly ever applied to me!!! I'll take it just the same!

I also gained something this week I didn't want: a nasty stomach bug that seems to be making the rounds. According to what everyone has told me, I am incredibly lucky in that it only lasted a day. I hear that for most people, it's at least a 2-3 day ordeal. I woke up Tuesday morning feeling like there was a vise grip on my stomach .... I made it in to work only to leave a couple of hours later. I came home and ended up sleeping most of the day. I had a low-grade fever and no desire to eat or do much of anything besides sleep. I figured out that in the 24 hours between 6:00 AM Tuesday and 6:00 AM Wednesday, I slept around 14 hours. Yow.

The "Momentum" is still going, and I learned something new about the program tonight (I won't spoil it if you don't have your materials yet). If you are considering doing something about the holiday weight, join NOW and avoid the post-holiday rush! (HA! No, seriously..... you'll be a step ahead!)

To all my WW buddies -- HANG IN THERE! We can get through the holidays and keep things on the right track!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the risk of sounding like a Spanish soccer announcer,

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It took 3 years and 3 weeks, but I am finally 44% of the woman I was on May 11, 2006. When I started the journey, this day was not even in sight. All I could honestly think about was how to take those first steps to get through the first day and the first week. I had no idea how I was supposed to do 5 minutes a day of activity, when it took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. But if nothing else, once I make up my mind to do something.......... Here it is, June 4, 2009. I am 228 pounds lighter and a quadrillion times better. I made it through that first day, that first week just fine. I did the 5 minutes -- okay, really 10 minutes, all huffing and puffing and barely able to walk out two blocks and back. Then 20, then 30, and joined the Y, and ..... got the dog and had to walk him. Then said, "I can do a 5K." And then watched my race time improve each time I tried. In losing 228 pounds, I have gained so much. I wasn't e...

Coming Around Again

Okay, accountability time again ....... As a lot of you know, in what feels like a lifetime ago, I lost a whole kindergarten class’s weight and did it fairly quickly (3 years). It was a struggle to maintain but I managed to “only” gain back about 40 of that original 230 I lost. Then foot surgery happened and I was just learning to walk pain-free (forget 5Ks). I put on a few more but still not a lot. When mama died, the bottom dropped out and I’ve been free-falling since. And the Quarantine 14 was part of that too. So it’s past time to get back on track. This time while it’s not just the physical side of things, it’s the mental side of it too. I’ll be honest: my anxiety has gotten worse since Richard died. There have been nights I have been too scared to sleep lying down because my head pipes up, “you know, what if you die lying down?” I’ve been pretty dang determined that if it’s in my power, my daddy will not have to bury both his kids from their own stupidity. So yeah. There ya go. M...

Mixing up the Music.

It's definitely time to shake up the workout routine --- I have a feeling I am going to become much better acquainted with Butt-Crack O'Dawn. I especially like BCOD this time of year; in the winter, she becomes a real witch. And it's also time to shake up my workout music. I haven't really done much to the ol' MP3 player in ages. I've added a few new songs here and there, but it's time to go through the songs I have on there and prune out what isn't working, what I'm so tired of that I automatically hit forward, and what is getting me moving these days. So in order by title: (Every Time I Turn Around) Back in Love Again - LTD: Gone . It's been on there forever, and I like the song, but I am beyond tired of it. (Get Up I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine - James Brown: Gone . Ditto. A Man I'll Never Be - Boston: Gone . Love the song, and ever since Brad Delp's untimely death, it's taken on a greater poignancy for me. But workout-friendly ...